Going to be late posting comments today.
The dogs broke the screen door yesterday, so last evening after a long dog walk I set out to the local hardware megastore to be frustrated/disappointed as usual. Returned home after an hour to find the puppy had pooped in his crate, and gotten it all over himself and over a wide radius of the kitchen.
Now, I am a poor housekeeper, but I do draw the line at shit slathered all over everywhere (you will be relieved to know). EVERYTHING had to be cleaned, scrubbed, hosed down, mopped, sprayed, disinfected—ending with Mr. Butters himself in the bathtub, and finally with our clothes in the wash and showers for the humans.
This took hours.
Then, in the middle of the night, the puppy was up because he had to poop again. (Outside this time.) I, of course, could not get back to sleep for an hour and a half. The dogs, for their part, wanted to get up at the same time as always.
I now have 21 minutes to get dressed and get the puppy to the vet. Ask me if I am totally relaxed about transporting a 46-lbs. puppy in obvious gastrointestinal distress in my car.
Anyway, long story short (unless it's already too late for that): it's going to take me a while to catch up with posting the comments from yesterday. Management apologizes for the unavoidable delay. There are many good comments, though, so it's going to be very interesting—worth checking back.
On the plus side, the screen door is neatly repaired, and works again.
(Thanks to Xander for helping clean up)
UPDATE, 4 p.m. Tuesday: All the comments to the "How You Doin'?" post are now posted. Sorry again for the delay. I think these comments are particularly fascinating, so I urge you to check them out, although I wouldn't draw any broad conclusions about the photography business from them.
Now to put up today's post—also late—before dog obedience class starts tonight!
Original contents copyright 2014 by Michael C. Johnston and/or the bylined author. All Rights Reserved. Links in this post may be to our affiliates; sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
(To see all the comments, click on the "Comments" link below.)
Featured Comments from:
Fiddlergene: "Ah, the tribulations of being owned by a dog...."
Tony Collins: "Poop happens."
Michael Perini: "Yo Mike, Just FYI:
- All Puppies Poop.
- They Poop in more than direct proportion to their size.
- They Poop more than you feed them
- They Poop in Inverse proportion to convenience of your schedule.
- They usually save some for just after you've cleaned them up.
- Puppy Poop is a universal attractant, and like spooky action at a distance can travel faster than the speed of light and attach itself to stuff that wasn't even near it. (Stephen Hawking is working on this—send him some.) [It's actually a subset called Smelly action at a distance.] I would have told you this sooner, but I assumed Ctein had told you, as all physicists know this. You should take that up with him at his annual review.
- No one feels sorry for you for bringing more poop into your life. But we do admire your kindness...from afar.
"There is a lesson here that life is trying to teach you: Whether people, pets, careers, vocations or avocations, everything in life that brings us joy and a sense of accomplishment, comes with a little poop attached. The sooner we get it out of the way, the more we can enjoy the good parts ;-) ."
Dennis: "OK, pool, coffee, tea, cameras all fine. Doggie G.I. issues is a bridge too far for me."
Mike replies: Amen brother. You and me both, you and me both.
Robert P: "NIce variation on 'The dog ate my homework.'"
Mike replies: You're not going to believe this, but when I was in grade school, the dog really did eat my homework once. Hand to God, honest truth.
I didn't even bother trying to tell the teacher.