Our Charles Cramer Print Sale—TOP's Winter sale for 2010-11—is planned to commence at noon on Sunday, February the 13th.
If you're not familiar with our four seasonal print offers, what we do is take orders for a very limited time—just five days. The photographers can then produce prints in volume knowing they're already sold. This allows them to sell prints for far less than gallery prices, yet make more money on the sale as a whole. Win-win, as the saying goes.
In the case of our winter sale, the two pictures on offer will be well under half the usual price. Another big difference compared to gallery sales is that the photographer keeps 80% of the proceeds—about twice the percentage artists get from galleries. And the remaining 20% is the largest share of what keeps TOP churning merrily along in fine economic fettle.
Nary an aesthetic hiccup
We also try when we can to see that there's an aspect of technical interest to some of our sales.
In Charlie's case, it's "large format." Charlie went from shooting 4x5" film (above left) to shooting with the largest digital format (called "medium format backs" because they fit on medium-format film camera bodies, but really the digital large format) (right), and it essentially didn't interrupt his output at all. Working digitally is more convenient for him and allows him to do some things he couldn't with film, achieving a technical image quality almost as good as that of film—but the change introduced nary an aesthetic hiccup in the continuity of his work. Charlie has written about his transition elsewhere, but he'll talk about it here on TOP too, before the sale starts.
At any rate, one of the pictures we'll offer in our sale was taken with a 4x5 on film, and the other with a Phase One back. Proving nothing, but I'm rather fond of the parallelism to Charlie's body of work as a whole.
These sales are a lot of fun for me personally—they're probably the most fun thing I do. It's been great to work with Charlie, who is a true gentleman, and I hope you like at least one of the pictures we chose. Please come back the week of the 13th.
Photo credits: Keith Walklet (top), Bill Atkinson.
Note: Links in this post may be to our affiliates; sales through affiliate links may benefit this site. More...
Original contents copyright 2011 by Michael C. Johnston and/or the bylined author. All Rights Reserved.